It is important that all new postdoctoral scholars find the support they need to make a successful transition. Your department administrator should be the primary point of contact for administrative matters prior to and after arrival.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (Graduate Division) provides general campus information and guidance regarding professional development. You can download the UCI Postdoctoral Scholar Handbook to learn about UCI resources which helps postdocs quickly acclimate to UCI and work efficiently.
Postdoctoral Scholars receive a welcome email and packet from the OPA soon after their arrival at UCI. The OPA sponsors quarterly orientations (see below); you are also encouraged to make an individual appointment to discuss your goals so we can provide information about the appropriate resources. Contact Mary Frances Ypma-Wong with questions or to make an appointment.
Postdoctoral Scholar Orientation Session (held quarterly)
Postdocs are welcome to attend select or all sessions.
The next orientation will be held the 3rd week of January, 2019.
3:00-3:30pm-Postdoc Benefits* and Q&A- UCI Human Resources
3:30-4:15pm-Career Development For Postdocs- Mary Frances Ypma-Wong, PhD
4:15- 4:30pm-Postdoc Association (PDA) Greeting
4:30-5:00pm- Union Presentation- Li Yu, UAW Local 5810
5:00- Enjoy Happy Hour with Postdoctoral Scholar Association (PDA) members at Anthill Grille, Student Center.
*Do not wait to enroll in benefits if the your 31 day Period of Initial Eligibility (PIE) ends prior to Postdoc Orientation. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949 824 5198 so you can receive answers and submit your form to your department administrator well in advance of the deadline.Getting Started:
- Learn about housing/transportation options on the UCI postdoc housing webpage as well as the Postdoctoral Scholar Assocation (PDA) site (which has advice from UCI postdocs)
- Enroll in the Postdoctoral Scholar Health Benefits Plan-PSBP
- Domestic Postdoctoral Scholar Checklist
- International Postdoctoral Scholars Checklist
- International Postdoc Survival Guide (provided by National Postdoc Association)
- UCI Postdoctoral Handbook- contains information about UCI resources which facilitate Postdoc orientation and everyday workflow.
- Join UCI Postdoctoral Scholars LinkedIn Group
- Follow the OPA on Twitter
The University of California Postdoctoral Scholar Benefits Plan (PSBP) is a comprehensive program that offers Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and AD&D Insurance, Short-Term Disability Insurance and Voluntary Long-Term Disability Insurance. The Period of Initial Eligibility is 31 days. This plan is brokered by Garnett-Powers & Associates (GPA). Email email@example.com or call 949 824 5198 for more information.
Effective August 12, 2010, the United Automobile Workers (UAW) is the exclusive bargaining representative for all Postdoctoral Scholars. A collective bargaining agreement or contract was negotiated between the UAW and the university regarding the terms and conditions of employment for all postdocs.
We encourage postdocs to developed a wide range of competencies will training at UCI. Our career development page outlines the myriad of opportunities available.
All postdoctoral scholars are strongly encouraged to conduct a self-assessment and establish plans for improving these competencies during their UCI postdoctoral appointment using an Individual Development Plan (IDP) with their mentor. The IDP process will help guide the postdoc on how to take advantage of UCI’s many resources. Below are the UCI IDP editable plan/worksheet and accompanying guide. Additional IDP resources are also provided.
- UCI Postdoc Individual Development Plan and accompanying IDP Guide.
- ImaginePhD- Focuses on career development individuals with PhDs in humanities and social sciences; includes an IDP tool.
- Sciences Careers (AAAS)- My IDP
- American Chemical Society- ChemIDP
- "IDP Plans Aren't Just More Paperwork" -This paper outlines the benefits of the IPD and provides a template and example.
All postdocs can participate in the PDA. The PDA is led by a board of enthusiastic volunteer postdocs dedicated to supporting the 300+ postdocs at UCI by providing professional development programs as well as social/networking events. For more information, visit the PDA website and Facebook page.Retirement Benefits
Postdoctoral Scholars are not eligible for membership in the University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP). Depending on the appointment type, some postdoctoral scholars will make a contribution to the Deferred Contribution Plan (DCP). For questions regarding DCP, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 949-824-5198.