Research Assistantships

General GSR Information

During the academic year, GSRs may be appointed for a maximum of half-time service (220 hours/quarter). Registration as a full-time student (12 units) is required, and students must meet academic eligibility requirements for grades, GPA and satisfactory progress. The duration and extent of such appointments vary by academic unit. Students should contact their departments for further information. 

Hiring a GSR?

  • The first step to hire a GSR, will be to coordinate with the UCPath processor in your school, regardless of the student’s home department.
  • The school/department holding the grant should process the hiring for that grant, including those students from other schools and departments.
  • If you are unsure as to who that would be, please check with either the Chief Personnel Officer (CPO), Management Services Officer (MSO), Managers of Academic & Administrative Business Office (MAABO), or Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) of the Principal Investigator’s (PI) School.

Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)

Graduate student who performs research as a condition of receiving financial remuneration from funding generated by the University in an academic department or research unit, provided that the graduate student is performing this funded research under the control of the University and under the specific direction of a faculty member or authorized Principal Investigator.

Academic Requirements

  • A minimum GPA of 3.0*
  • Satisfactory academic progress towards degree objective
  • A letter grade of C, S, or above in all courses completed in the last three quarters
  • No more than two (2) Incomplete grades (except where stricter school policies apply) in the last three quarters

*Please note, cumulative last 3 quarter GPA

Benefits for GSR Appointments

Campus policy regarding GSR fee and tuition remission applies to all students employed in the GSR series with an appointment of at least 25% time for the entire quarter. Each eligible student’s total assessed fees/tuition (and nonresident supplemental tuition, if applicable), must be paid as a condition of their GSR appointment. Charges are to be debited directly to applicable extramural awards or other funding source(s) paying the student’s salary when the student registers each quarter.

  • Full Fee Remission 

Payment of 100% of the Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP) premium and 100% of the Student Services Fee/Tuition, Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition (if applicable), and campus-based fees, components of a student’s assessment per quarter.

DCP Coverage in accordance with UC Retirement Plan (Summer employment only), please visit the Voluntary UC Retirement Savings Program page

  • Childbirth Accommodation and Childcare Reimbursement

Consistent with UC Irvine’s priority for establishing and encouraging family-friendly policies, please visit the Childbirth Accommodation and Childcare Reimbursement page.

  • DepCare FSA 

The DepCare FSA for Academic Student Employees, including GSRs, allows you to pay for eligible expenses for care of your child or eligible adult dependent on a pretax basis, please visit the DepCare FSA page.

  • Federal Work Study

Graduate students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents and appointed as a GSR may be eligible for Federal Work Study funding administered by the Graduate Division at UC Irvine. Students do not apply directly for Federal Work Study funding, but may be nominated by their schools for such funding. Please visit the Federal Work Study page.

Important Information for GSRs

On Oct. 15, 2017, Governor Brown signed into law an amendment to the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) expanding the definition of “employee” to include student employees whose work is an integral part of their educational objectives. Prior to this amendment, Graduate Student Researchers (GSRs) at UC were determined to be fundamentally students, not “employees.” With this change to the law, GSRs will be eligible to become exclusively represented by a union under HEERA. This amendment goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2018.

The United Auto Workers (UAW) or another union may approach you and other Graduate Student Researchers to sign materials about union representation.

Before you sign anything, it is very important that you understand what it means to sign a union card or petition. Unionization may result from union cards signed by employees or by a secret ballot election.

UC supports your right to decide for yourself whether unionization is beneficial for you. That choice is yours. UC believes this choice should be well informed.

Get the facts before you sign a union card or petition:

  • Your signature on a card or petition may constitute your “vote.” Read carefully before you sign anything
  • Union cards or petitions are not just an expression of interest. Signing them may mean unionization

For important information about your rights, the unionization process and what being unionized means to help you make an informed choice, please see below links:

You may contact Marianne Beckett at Academic Personnel & Academic Labor Relations at (949) 824-7175 if you have additional questions

See Documents:

GSR rights & FAQs.


Please contact the Graduate Division here Fee Remission, Employment, Fellowship and Childcare Program Inquiries

The University of California, Irvine, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities.