Applying to UCI
Applying to UCI
Some UC Irvine programs may have admissions criteria, deadlines or requirements that differ from the general university requirements. You should always contact your desired program to ensure that you meet specific admission criteria and deadlines established by the program, and to find its specific admissions requirements.
To learn about the exciting graduate degree programs that UCI offers, please see the Degree Programs listing in the Academics section of our website.
How To Apply
These are required components of an application; please see below and follow the links for specific information. You must complete and submit your Application for Admission online. The following items are required to complete your application:
- Choose a Degree Program The Degree Program page provides information on specific graduate programs, including areas of study, degrees offered, program contact information, and application deadlines. Please note that you cannot apply to different degree levels (Master's and PhD) for the same program.
- Application Fee Your application cannot be reviewed until UCI has received your non-refundable application fee ($120 for U.S. Citizens and lawful U.S. Permanent Residents, and $140 for all other applicants).
- GRE This is sent electronically from the Educational Testing Service directly to UC Irvine. Please choose Institution Code 4859 on the GRE.
- TOEFL or IELTS If required; scores will be sent directly to UC Irvine by the testing agency. Please choose Institution Code 4859. We do not accept MyBest scores; you must submit all individual test scores.
- Letters of Recommendation Three letters of recommendation are required.
- Transcripts: For application review purposes only, scan and upload copies of transcripts for all institutions attended since high school. In the online application, you will be prompted to upload your scanned documents. Please upload both the front and back sides of the transcript. Uploaded transcripts should be recent and include the following: your name, dates of attendance, grades/marks received, credits and grading legend. UCI reserves the right to require official transcripts at any time during the admission process, and rescind any offer of admission made if discrepancies between uploaded and official transcript(s) are found. Official transcripts will be requested if and when you are admitted and decide to attend UCI. Do not send official transcripts until this time, unless you are requested to do so.
- Supplemental Materials: Some programs require submission of additional materials; please contact your program of interest to determine if any additional materials are required.
- Deadlines Application deadlines differ by program, so please determine the deadline for your program by visiting your program of interest in the Degree Programs section of the website.
- You must supply a valid e-mail address that you will maintain at least 8 months after you apply. If you are admitted, you will be notified via this e-mail address.
Applicants are expected to complete their UC application completely and accurately, and the truthfulness of that information is at the core of all admissions decisions. Falsified application information may include but is not limited to: making inaccurate statements on the application, withholding information requested on the application, giving false information, or submitting fraudulent or falsified documents in support of an admissions application.
Proper submission of official materials is also of utmost importance. Letters of recommendation must be submitted by the letter writer; an applicant must not submit a letter of recommendation on behalf of the letter writer. In cases where an applicant has submitted incomplete or inaccurate information on their UCI application, or fraudulently submitted official application materials on behalf of another individual or institution, the matter will be reviewed as a case of falsification and will result in the cancellation of the application or the withdrawal of an admission offer.
Please note that once submitted, your application materials will not, under any circumstances, be returned to you or forwarded to another entity on your behalf.