Fletcher Jones Fellowship (I)
The Fletcher Jones Fellowship is a highly prestigious award, made available through funding from the Fletcher Jones Foundation. It is competitively awarded to an outstanding doctoral student who has advanced to candidacy and demonstrates financial need. The award of this dissertation fellowship of approximately $23,598, is to be used as a stipend and is intended to assist with doctoral degree completion.
Award Information and Criteria
Award totaling approximately $23,598.
Since this award will be disbursed monthly throughout the 2021-2022 academic year, nominated students must not plan to graduate before the conclusion of Spring Quarter 2022.
Nominations will be evaluated on the following:
- Demonstration of financial need
- Clarity of research explanation and other evidence of communication skills
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Academic achievement
- Likelihood of timely degree completion (As this fellowship is intended to support doctoral degree completion, students demonstrating a clear plan and strong likelihood of filing their dissertation by the summer dissertation filing deadline at the end of the award year will be given the strongest consideration.)
Each School may nominate one outstanding doctoral student who meets the following minimum criteria:
- Shows financial need
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal and leadership abilities
- Has a UCI GPA of 3.8 or better
- Has advanced to candidacy
- Is making satisfactory academic progress toward their degree
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
As this fellowship is intended to support doctoral degree completion, students demonstrating a clear plan and strong likelihood of filing their dissertation by the summer dissertation filing deadline at the end of the award year will be given the strongest consideration.
Graduate students should consult with their program graduate affairs staff for submission instructions.
All individual student nominations must include the following:
- A completed UCI Fletcher Jones Fellowship Nomination Form.
- A completed UCI Fletcher Jones Student Information Form, including the following:
- 100-word statement of financial need (note any gaps in support, dependents, etc.)
- 100-word student profile
- 500-word statement by the nominee describing their research project, progress to date, and plan for completion. Nominees should describe their research in terms that are accessible to a general audience since the reviewers may not be in their field.
- A current CV.
- Letters of recommendation from the following:
- The student’s faculty advisor/mentor (this letter should address the student’s financial need, interpersonal and leadership abilities, satisfactory academic progress, and expected date of degree completion)
- The student’s department chair or program advisor
The nomination package should be forwarded with the signature of the School or Program’s Associate Dean. A letter of recommendation from the Associate Dean is not required.
Questions should be directed to Turner Dahl, 949-824-0409
The deadline for e-mail receipt of completed/signed nomination packages is 5:00pm on Friday, August 20, 2021. Please note that Schools and Programs may have earlier internal submission deadlines.
- If students have applied for and accepted Financial Aid loans or Work-Study awards and subsequently receive any fellowships, the additional support may affect their eligibility for need-based financial aid. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to determine if their eligibility will be affected. Students should also review the terms of any funding that they have accepted for AY 2021-2022 to ensure that they are eligible to receive additional fellowship funding.
- The awardee will not be permitted to serve as a Teaching Assistant while receiving this award
- In the event the nominee is seleted for this award, please plan accordingly and have a replacement to serve as a Teaching Assistant (if applicable).
- This fellowship does not include tuition and fees. The awardee’s School is expected to cover the cost of the awardee’s tuition and fees for the 2021-2022 academic year.