(COVID-19): Campus Health Updates
4/26/2021 - Daily COVID-19 Graduate Division Update
Dear Graduate Students and Postdocs,
Today is a special message, outside of our usual weekly messages. This weekend, the crisis in India reached new heights with record setting infections, hospitalizations, and deaths.
Just as spikes in other places, like Brazil, have begun to subside, we must hope that with support and resources, the wave in India can also subside.
This particular wave hits the UCI community hard. Students from India are the second largest group of international students on our campus. Many faculty and staff are also from India. As with other members of our international community, students, staff, and faculty who have made the choice to be here with us often still have family and friends in home countries. They may not have seen these folks for years as visa restrictions and the pandemic have made crossing borders difficult or impossible. The crisis in India reminds us to be kind and generous to each other. You never know what someone else is going through.
You may not always know, but you are likely teaching or mentoring students from India or another country hit hard. You are likely to be taught by Indian faculty at some point in your time here and/or work with researchers in your lab who may have family and friends abroad. You, yourself, may be struggling to care for and worry about family in India or other hard hit nations. No matter what your situation, be generous in your interactions with one another.
Also, bear these messages in mind in the future when it may be another crisis in another nation impacting our community. As we have seen waves of this disease rock our own country and tear through others, please be aware of what your colleagues and friends might be going through and please care for yourselves.
- As a reminder, the counseling center offers numerous resources, and you are encouraged to check out their groups and individual resources: https://counseling.uci.edu/
- Our Associate Dean for Student Success, Jaymi Smith and Graduate Counselor Phong Luong will hold special office hours this week for students who would like to talk to someone.
- Tuesday, April 27th from Noon - 1 pm PT (Both Jaymi and Phong) - https://uci.zoom.us/my/jaymismith
- Thursday, April 29th from 11 am - Noon PT (Just Jaymi) - https://uci.zoom.us/my/jaymismith
- The international center also has affinity groups, resources, and drop-in hours: https://ic.uci.edu/
- You can always reach out to Graduate Division for support and help, get involved with the graduate international community and so on: email@example.com
- Many NGOs are helping, and if you are able and would like to contribute, here are a couple of articles that can help you navigate those waters: https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/social-relevance/donate-for-covid-19-oxygen-ventilator-india-539031.html
Our hearts break in Graduate Division for our Indian community as well as all those groups both in this country and abroad who have been hard hit by this pandemic. We will continue to watch the news and look for ways to help.
On behalf of all Graduate Division,
Kleist Professor of Informatics
Vice Provost for Graduate Education
Dean of the Graduate Division