(COVID-19): Campus Health Updates
1/4/2021 - Daily COVID-19 Graduate Division Update
Good morning and welcome to Winter quarter!
We at Graduate Division hope you managed to get at least some rest and relaxation over the winter holidays. Please remember that if you traveled, you need to sequester yourself for 14 days prior to coming to campus. All faculty should know this and should not be asking you to come to campus, but if you have trouble with this, reach out to your Grad Advisor, Department Chair, or us. As long as Orange County, and California more broadly, are trending poorly, you can assume campus will be under some tight restrictions: https://occovid19.ochealthinfo.com/coronavirus-in-oc You can always get the latest campus specific information here: https://uci.edu/coronavirus/dashboard/index.php
Thank you to all of you who have continued to be vigilant, isolate as much as possible, handwash, wear face coverings, and keep your distance. It has been incredibly tough, and you are doing the hard work for everyone.
This will be a super short message just to remind you of a few quick things:
First Graduate Division Town Hall of 2021
Date: January 8, 2021 | 3:00pm – 4:00pm
Topic: Job Market Success and Survival During COVID-19
Description: Dean Hayes and other UCI leaders will be discussing career options and how to navigate a challenging market across career pathways.
- Gillian Hayes, Vice Provost & Dean of Graduate Education
- Goran Matijasevic, Senior Assistant Vice Chancellor, Alumni and Constituent Relations, Chief Executive Roundtable
- Jaymi Smith, Associate Dean of Graduate Education
- Lauren Lyon, Career Engagement Specialist for Grad Students, Division of Career Pathways
- Beth Van Es, Professor, School of Education
- Matthew Hansen, Director, New Ventures, UCI Beall Applied Innovation
Office hours are back to daily, and all are half an hour:
- Monday January 4, 2021
- 12PM, Dean Hayes - https://uci.zoom.us/j/7277477057
- Tuesday January 5, 2021 - No Office Hours
- Wednesday January 6, 2021
- 1 PM, AD Rodrigo Lazo - https://zoom.us/j/3555252120?pwd=Nm43MmxzVkZvV2grNmNCZlVidk9pQT09
- 5PM, Dean Hayes - https://uci.zoom.us/j/7277477057
- Thursday January 7, 2021
- Noon, AD Jaymi Smith - https://uci.zoom.us/j/4520706918
- Friday January 8, 2021
- 1PM, Dean Hayes - https://uci.zoom.us/j/7277477057
Some light reading:
David Levinson, one of our Accounting graduate students, has written this helpful guide on the new COVID relief bill: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-covid-relief-bill-here-what-left-out-david-levinson/
NPR listeners describe how they got through 2020: https://www.npr.org/2020/12/29/951026690/good-riddance-the-end-of-2020-is-just-days-away
Turkish playwright Mehmet Murat ildan said, “Sometimes a year has been so disastrous and so terrible that entering a new year will automatically mean entering a wonderful year!” Let’s hope he’s right.
Here’s to a better 2021!
Have a great first week.
On behalf of all of Graduate Division,
Kleist Professor of Informatics
Vice Provost for Graduate Education
Dean of the Graduate Division