Graduate Division

Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program

Section 1


The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program is a separate and distinct program from the Fulbright U.S. Student Grant Program. This program is administered by the U.S. Department of Education, and it provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to 12 months.


A student is eligible to receive a Fulbright-Hays award if he or she meets all of the following criteria:

  • Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States.
  • Is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution.
  • Is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation.
  • Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.

Award Info

Expenses covered by the award:

  • Travel expenses, including excess baggage to and from the residence of the fellow to the host country of research.
  • Maintenance and dependent(s) allowances based on the cost of living in country or countries of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s).
  • Project allowance for research related expenses such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel, and other incidental expenses.
  • Health and accident insurance premiums.
  • An administrative fee of $100 to applicant institution.

Terms and Conditions

A Fulbright-Hays fellow shall:

  • Maintain satisfactory progress in the conduct of his or her research.
  • Devote full time to research on the approved topic.
  • Not engage in any gainful employment during the fellowship period.
  • Remain a student in good standing at his or her institution.
  • Register In-Absentia while doing their research abroad.

Application Process

Institutions of higher education in the United States are eligible to apply for grants under the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program. Students must apply through their institutions. Proposals should be prepared in the electronic format available through the Department of Education website. Applications must be submitted electronically using the Department's G5 system.


NOON, March 8th, 2021

Contact Information

Sonia Lepe
UCI DDRA Project Director
Graduate Division