Provost PhD Fellowship
- Each award will be $20,000 to top-off the program financial support offer and will be disbursed any time in increments of $5,000 per quarter after matriculation.
- This fellowship does not require a competing offer.
- Nominees must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Have been admitted to a PhD program at UCI
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.7
- Overall undergraduate, and, if applicable, master's
- Convert to 4.0 scale if degree awarded is from an International university
- Have received a financial offer from the nominating program
- Have not yet submitted a SIR
- Exhibit potential for outstanding leadership in their discipline
- Have demonstrated ability to be resilient in the face of challenges, while still attaining exceptional achievements
- Nominee must be interviewed during the admissions process by the department in order to be considered for this fellowship. Method of interview can be in-person, by phone, or Skype, etc. Email correspondence is NOT acceptable.
- Nominee must have been offered 5 years of funding from their program, or 4 if they already have a master's degree.
- Nominee may be be a US citizen, Permanent Resident, AB 540 eligible or an International student.
- Students are nominated for consideration by their academic program
- Interested students should contact the program they are applying to and discuss interest in the fellowship.
- The personal history statement on the UC Irvine Online Application for Graduate Admissions will be used to help determine eligibility for nomination and selection of final awardees.
Information for Letter Writers
The program recommendation is one of the most important parts of the nomination packet. Here are the requirements when writing a letter of support for the Provost PhD Fellowship.
- Letter needs to be written by a faculty member in the student’s department/program, who may be the proposed mentor (if available) and/or graduate advisor and/or program director.
- A brief narrative outlining what makes the student outstanding, including academic excellence and diverse life experience, and why the Fellowship may persuade the student to choose to attend UC Irvine.
- Summarize previous contact with the student and highlight the following points:
- Describe the nominee’s research interests and relevant research experience.
- Describe how the nominee shows potential for leadership in his/her discipline.
- Describe the nominee’s interest in diversifying the program. Discuss any diversity initiatives the nominee has participated in or led in the past.
- Describe how the nominee has shown resilience in the face of challenges, while still making exceptional achievements. Be specific about examples.
- Describe highlights from nominee’s academic record.
Academic program must complete the Provost PhD Nomination form and upload the program recomendation form through SLATE
- NOTE: Only programs can nominate students
- A standing faculty committee will review the applications and make award recommendations.
- The deadline for early consideration is Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 12:00PM. The second deadline is Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 12:00PM.
- Claudia Campos, firstname.lastname@example.org