Graduate Dean's Dissertation Fellowship
2020-2021 application is now available
The UCI Graduate Division is pleased to announce a fellowship for students nearing completion of their dissertations/thesis. The Graduate Dean’s Dissertation Fellowship aims to increase dissertation and thesis completion amongst doctoral and MFA students. This award is intended for students in their final year of graduate study who have a realistic expectation of degree completion during the 2020-2021 academic year. The award will allow students to forgo their non-research related employment obligations to concentrate on completing their degree.
Students are required to include a listing of all extramural, departmental, and Graduate Division fellowships or other support they have been or expects to be awarded (this includes pending applications), including year and amount in their Student Statement (GDDF Application)
In an effort to maximize the number of students that can be supported by this fellowship, awards will be made for summer quarters only. The Graduate Dean’s Dissertation Fellowship provides a $5,000 stipend during summer 2020 for students nearing completion of their dissertation or thesis during the 2020-2021 academic year. Graduate Division will cover the cost of the stipend.
- Full-time Ph.D./MFA students nearing the completion of their dissertation or thesis
- Nominees must provide evidence in their application that the timeframe to file their degree is reasonable
- Academic merit
- Need for release from non-research related employment
- Realistic expectation that the student is near degree completion
- Nominees may not be past their academic program’s maximum time-to-degree
- GDDF fellows are required to file their dissertation during the 2020-2021 academic year and must file their degree no later than summer 2021.
- Department/Schools/Colleges will be required to re-pay the awarded funds to the Graduate Division if the filing requirement is not met.
- GDDF fellows cannot hold any university employment including but not limited to TA/Associate/Reader/Tutor or GSR/GSAR/ positions during the summer fellowship term, but may hold employment during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- GDDF fellows are no longer eligible for Graduate Division dissertation fellowships after the end of the summer fellowship term.
- If students have applied for and accepted Financial Aid loans or Work-Study awards and subsequently receive any fellowships, the additional support may affect their eligibility for need-based financial aid. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to determine if their eligibility will be affected.
- Students should review the terms of any funding that they have accepted for the 2020-2021 academic year to ensure that they are eligible to receive additional fellowship funding.
- Nomination Deadline: Check with your department for their internal deadline
- Complete application due to Graduate Division Monday, May 11, 2020 by 12:00 PM (NOON)
Diversity and Fellowship Coordinator