Nevin Graduate Endowment Fellowship
The information below is for the AY 2018-2019 cycle. the AY 2019-2020 cycle will be available December 2018.
The Nevin Graduate Endowment fellowship program is designed to facilitate the recruitment of the best and brightest Ph.D. and M.F.A. students to UC Irvine. The fellowship supplements and enhances financial support packages, and is open to students in all disciplines except for those that do research on animals.
Each award will be between $5,000 and $50,000 (for truly exceptional admits), in $5,000 increments, to enhance ("top-off") the original financial offers that were extended to the admitted student. The award will be disbursed in a pre-approved manner over the course of the students's tenure as a Ph.D. or M.F.A. student at UC Irvine.
NOTE: GDRF/DRF, Provost PhD and Nevin cannot be used in the same quarter
- Nominee must be an admitted Ph.D. or M.F.A. student who has received a strong, and documented, financial and admission offer(s) from a Ph.D. or M.F.A. program at another excellent institution.
- Nominee must be a US Citizen, Permanent Resident or AB540 eligible.
- Nominee needs to be eligible under the University of California definition of diversity.
- Nominee must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate and master’s (if applicable) GPA
- Nominee must be interviewed during the admissions process by the department in order to be considered for this fellowship. Method of interview can be in-person, by phone, or Skype, etc. Email correspondence is NOT acceptable.
- Nominee must have a pending SIR
- Per the request of the donor, the nominee may not “…be involved in research in which animals are utilized in [any] way as test subjects.”
- Departments are encouraged to put forth students who come from Minority Serving Institutions (HSI, HBCU, AANAPISI, TCU)
- Complete and submit the nomination form outlining the prospective student's competing offer(s), and how the student would improve the diversity of our student population (and/or your specific program), and why you believe that this fellowship will help recruit the student. This justification should scale up with the size of the award that you are requesting for a given nominee.
- Along with the completed nomination form, please submit a scanned copy of the student's application (copy of the application from SLATE, letters of recommendation, and a copy of the original admission and financial offer letter(s) from the nominators program), a copy of the original funding offer from the competing institution, and any other relevant supporting documents.
- The nomination packet should be addressed to Dean Leslie, and sent to Turner Dahl at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write the subject line as, "NEV_SID #." For example: "NEV_12345678"
Questions should be directed to Turner Dahl.
Nominations will be accepted until the funding allocated to the program has been exhausted. The first awards are expected to be made in early March.