Graduate Opportunity Fellowship (GOF)
PhD Students Overview
The Graduate Opportunity Fellowship (GOF) is a multi-year, multi-summer fellowship award, including four summers of support (the first, pre-entry summer requires participation in our Competitive Edge program), as well as five years of guaranteed departmental support (e.g., from TA/GSR funding). This award is used to provide support for first year doctoral students who contribute to the diversity of the institution, and is intended to release recipients from employment or loan payment obligations that might delay progress in graduate study. It is designed to facilitate the academic career development of students who have experienced significant disadvantage in their prior educational experiences.
PhD Students Funding Package
- Students receive $5,000 from Graduate Division in the summer prior to entry, and participate in the Competitive Edge summer pre-entry program.
- The student's program provides five years of support (e.g., from TA/GSR funding), plus $3,000 of summer support after year one.
- The Graduate Division provides $3,000 summer stipends during the summers after years two, three and four.
MFA Students Overview
The Graduate Opportunity Fellowship (GOF) is a multi-year fellowship award. This award is used to provide support for first year MFA students who contribute to the diversity of the institution, and is intended to release recipients from employment or loan payment obligations that might delay progress in graduate study. It is designed to facilitate the academic career development of students who have experienced significant disadvantage in their prior educational experiences.
MFA Students Funding Package
- In the first year, Graduate Division will award fellowship support of an $21,600 stipend, distributed during the academic year, plus payment of fees/tuition.
- The department will supplement the award at a minimum of 20% ($4,320) and non resdient tuiton (if needed).
- The department will guarantee the student’s funding for year two and three (if a three year program) from TA/GSR funding etc.
Eligibility (for both PhD and MFA students)
- Nominee must be admitted to a doctoral or MFA program at UCI.
- Nominee must demonstrate high potential and promise
- Nominee must be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or AB540 eligible
- Nominee needs to be interviewed by the admission committee.
- Nominee must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate and master’s (if applicable) GPA
- Nominee must have a pending SIR
- Nominee must meet the UC definition of diversity.
Academic program must complete the GOFPHD or GOFMFA nomination form for each nominee.
- Forms are fillable/savable Word documents and can be found on the Graduate Division Web site. See Instructions on Using Word-based Data Entry Forms
Save nomination forms in Word as "Award name-SID#.doc": e.g.Print the nomination forms and gather original signatures for each form.
Scan documents to a single PDF file for each nominee once forms are final with signatures, in this order:
Save the new PDF file as before, "Award name-SID#.pdf": e.g.
When completed, send the following to email@example.com
- Original Word.doc nomination form
- Nomination Packet (packet to include items listed above)
Nomination Deadline: February 20, 2018 12:00 PM
Nominees will be reviewed on the following criteria in order:
- Meeting the UC definition of diversity
- Interest in diversifying the program
- Proven resilience in the face of challenges, while still making exceptional achievements
- Likelihood to finish the degree program to which they were admitted
Manager, Graduate Preparation and Recruitment
- Nomination Deadline: February 20, 2018 12:00 PM
- NOTE: Only programs can nominate students