Graduate Opportunity Fellowship (GOF)
PhD Students Overview
The Graduate Opportunity Fellowship (GOF) is a one year fellowship that is designed to release recipients from employment or loan obligations that might delay progress in graduate study. This award is used to provide support for first year MFA and doctoral students who contribute to the diversity of the institution, and is intended to release recipients from employment or loan payment obligations that might delay progress in graduate study. It is designed to facilitate the academic career development of students who have experienced significant disadvantage in their prior educational experiences.
- In the first year, Graduate Division will award fellowship support of an $23,000 stipend, distributed during the academic year, plus payment of fees/tuition and document fee.
- The department will supplement the award by covering student stipend and health insurance for pariticipaion in the Competitive Edge summer program and non resdient tuiton (if needed).
- The department will guarantee the student’s funding for five years for a PhD and two to three years for a MFA, from TA/GSR funding etc.
- Nominee must be admitted to a doctoral or MFA program at UCI.
- Nominee may not have ever been enrolled in a UCI MFA or doctoral program.
- Nominee must demonstrate high potential and promise
- Nominee must be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or AB540 eligible
- Nominee needs to be interviewed by the admission committee.
- Nominee must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate and master’s (if applicable) GPA
- Nominee must have a pending SIR
- Nominee must meet the UC definition of diversity.
Academic program must complete the nomination form from slate.
Priority Nomination Deadline: February 20, 2020 12:00 PM
Final Deadline (if any awards remain): March 19, 2020 12:00 PM
Nominees will be reviewed on the following criteria in order:
- Meeting the UC definition of diversity
- Interest in diversifying the program
- Proven resilience in the face of challenges, while still making exceptional achievements
- Likelihood to finish the degree program to which they were admitted
Manager, Outreach, Recruitment and Retention
- NOTE: Only programs can nominate students