Faculty Mentor Program (FMP)
The Faculty Mentor Program (FMP) Fellowship is designed to increase the number of students who complete their Ph.D. degree and successfully acquire a faculty appointment:
- Fellows are expected to participate in meaningful research during the fall quarter of their award year and develop an independent project for the winter and spring quarters of the award year
- Fellows are prohibited from being employed above 24% time during the tenure of this fellowship
- Fellowship award recipients will be required to participate in UCI’s tracking of programs to assess student progress and eventual job placement
- One year of fellowship support paid directly by the Graduate Division, including a yearly stipend of $21,600 (paid over a nine-month period, Oct. 1 to June 1) and full resident tuition and fees
- Graduate programs also provide a minimum 20% supplement to the fellowship ($4,320)
- $500 academic travel stipend
- Non-resident tuition is NOT covered by this fellowship award
Nominees must be current UCI Ph.D. students who are in the pre-advancement stage of their program, and must not be at the dissertation stage during the tenure of the award.
- Nominees must demonstrate high potential and promise
- Nominees must indicate an interest in an academic career in teaching and research
- Nominees must be United States citizens, permanent residents or AB540 status.
- Nominees must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Students must enroll full-time in 12 units during each quarter of fellowship tenure
Nominees must qualify as a diversity student, as defined by the University of California and demonstrate experience of situations or conditions which were an impediment to advancing to graduate study, such as socioeconomic or educational limitations, the absence of a family member who attended college, matriculation in a school with poor financial or curricular support, having a physical or learning disability or working long hours while attending school.
Students should check with their academic program for internal deadlines.
Students should complete the Application Form.
Students should e-mail the completed FMP application form to their academic program along with the following materials:
Students must submit the FMP Fellowship application form electronically to the department, along with the following:
- A brief (2-4 page) Mentoring Plan that includes a schedule of training goals and activities for the 12-month time period
- A letter of recommendation from the faculty member who will serve as the mentor
- Unofficial transcripts including most recent winter quarter grades
- Student curriculum vitae (CV)
- A detailed listing of all funding support received by student
- Save FMP Fellowship application forms as “FMP APP– SID# (FMP APP-12345678)
- Check your department’s deadlines
Departments: complete the FMP Nomination Form for each student the department is nominating. Don’t forget the following items:
- Check the appropriate citizenship or residency box
- Minimum 20% ($4,320) matching funds during fellowship year
- Rationale for nominating the student
- Save nomination form as “FMP NOM–SID#(FMP NOM-12345678)
- Print nomination form and gather original signatures for each form (no signatures on behalf of signee will be accepted)
- Scan all documents in PDF format for students being nominated in the following order:
- Save this new PDF file as “FMP – SID#.pdf” (FMP-12345678)
- Forward nomination packages to your school.college for ranking, cover letter and signature.
Schools/College: submit completed documentation for the top two school/college nominees to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- Cover Letter from Associate Dean with rationale for the top two andidates
- Letter must be signed by Associate Dean (no stamps or signatures on behalf)
- Original Word (.doc or .docm) FMP nomination Form for each student the school is nominating
- Original Word (.doc or .docx) FMP application Form for each student the school is nominating
- Scanned PDF nomination packet for each student the school is nominating
- Call for Nominations and Applications Available:
- Nomination Deadline: Check with your department for their deadline
- Complete applicatin due Monday, April 22, 2019 by 12:00 PM
Nominations will be based on the student’s merit and his/her contribution to the diversity of their discipline/graduate program. In accordance with state law, nominees to state-funded programs are not given preferential treatment on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion or national origin.