Eugene Cota-Robles (ECR) Fellowship
Eugene Cota-Robles (ECR) Fellowship
The Eugene Cota-Robles (ECR) Fellowship is the most prestigious diversity fellowship offered at UC Irvine. This award is used to release recipients from employment or loan obligations that might delay progress in graduate study. The fellowship is designed to place students interested in careers in academic teaching and research on a fast-track towards completing their doctoral degree, and to increase the number of qualified candidates for faculty positions within the University of California. The Eugene Cota-Robles Fellowship is named in honor of one of the earliest Mexican-American professors in the University of California System.
In the first and fourth year, Graduate Division will award fellowship support of a $25,000 stipend, distributed during the academic year, plus payment of fees/tuition and nonresident tuition (year one only), if applicable.
Graduate Division will award the second year of stipend and fee/tuition support during the student’s fourth year of study, only after the academic program has provided verification of satisfactory academic progress for each ECR fellow, and the student has fulfilled all obligations related to evaluation and participation in this diversity program.
During the second, third and fifth year, the student’s academic program is obligated to provide funding at an equivalent level of support (e.g., from TA/GSR funding).
The student's academic program will also provide support for four summers, at a minimum rate of $3,000 per summer.
The student's academic program will also provide a $5,000 stipend for summer 0 (Summer 2018) as well as the cost of UC SHIP for participation in the Competitive Edge summer program.
Nominee must indicate an interest in an academic career in teaching and research
Nominee must be admitted to a doctoral program at UCI
Nominee must demonstrate high potential and promise
Nominee must be a United States citizen, permanent resident, or AB540 eligible
Nominee needs to be interviewed by the admission committee.
Nominee must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate and master’s (if applicable) GPA
- Nominee must have a pending SIR
- Nominee must have a strong Mentoring Plan
Nominee must meet the UC definition of diversity.
Students are nominated for consideration by their academic program
Interested students should contact the program they are applying to and discuss interest in the fellowship.
The personal history statement on the UC Irvine Online Application for Graduate Admissions will be used to help determine eligibility for nomination and selection of final awardees.
Nominees will be reviewed on the following criteria in order:
- Meeting the UC definition of diversity
- Interest in diversifying the program
- Proven resilience in the face of challenges, while still making exceptional achievements
- Likelihood to finish the degree program to which they were admitted
Academic program must complete the ECR nomination form for each nominee.
- Forms are fillable/savable Word documents and can be found on the Graduate Division Web site. See Instructions on Using Word-based Data Entry Forms
- Review the Policy on Supplements to Diversity Fellowships
Save nomination forms in Word as "Award name-SID#.doc" (NO SPACES): e.g.Print the nomination forms and gather original signatures for each form.
Scan documents to a single PDF file for each nominee once forms are final with signatures, in this order:
- Nomination form
- Student's original transcripts
- Print out of student's application from DAVAD only (not GATS)
- GRE scores need to be blacked out
- Mentoring plan
- Program recomendation
- Statement of Purpose and Personal History Statement
- All Letters of recommendation
Save the new PDF file as before, "Award name-SID#.pdf": e.g.
When completed, send the following to email@example.com
Original Word.doc nomination form
- Nomination Packet (packet to include items listed above)
Nomination Deadline: February 20, 2018 12:00 PM
- NOTE: Only programs can nominate students
Manager, Graduate Preparation and Recruitment