Inclusive Excellence Ambassador Fellowship (I)
UCI is a public research university proudly serving the state of California while reaching across the country and world. Inclusive excellence animates our core research, teaching and service mission. This commitment refers to building and sustaining a campus community where all expect equity, support diversity, practice inclusion, and honor free speech. Graduate students play an indispensable role in realizing this commitment.
The Inclusive Excellence Ambassador Fellowship will provide a $5,000 summer stipend to support the research of PhD and MFA students who have shown a commitment to inclusive excellence. Fellows will also be expected to remotely mentor incoming graduate students who are first-generation and/or from a minority serving institution, and help them prepare for the start of their graduate studies at UCI. This fellowship requires participation in a mandatory virtual training, more details to follow.
Call for nominations: April 29, 2020
Application/Nomination Deadline: May 13, 2020
For more information contact: Daniel Fabrega at email@example.com
Below are tips to consider as you prepare your statement regarding your commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Being personally committed to the idea of diversity is necessary but not sufficient.
- Describe how the activities in your statement promotes or advances equal opportunity for under-served populations and/or under-represented racial and ethnic minorities. Please note: This may vary depending on what part of the educational pipeline that you are referring to and/or field you are describing.
- Clarify the nature of your involvement. Were you involved in a single activity or multiple activities; did you serve in a leadership or other key role?
- Discuss the significance and/or impact of the activity or activities. Relationship to evidence-based best practices or research literature; institutional context—such as laboratory, department, college or school or profession or field; and scope of impact.
- Address the extent to which the activity or activities have been recognized. Supported through a competitive funding source; results published or discussed in a learning community or conference of practitioners or presented in a poster session; selected for an award or other form of commendation; or formed part of a larger enterprise such as a committee report, taskforce recommendations or effected transformation in other ways.
- Be specific. If possible, provide references or citations. Avoid generalities.
Finally, please visit the UCI Office of Inclusive Excellence to learn more about the campus Inclusive Excellence Action Plan. The dedicated website outlines the principal pillars of the Action Plan, describes the associated goals and metrics, and identifies ways that members of the UCI community can #ActforInclusion.
At the end of the summer, awardees will need to provide a 500 word max report on what they did for their research and/or inclusive excellence over the summer.
- All applicants must be currently enrolled graduate students at UCI, who are in good academic standing and meet one of the criteria below:
- PhD student: have completed at least four quarters of doctoral study and plan to complete their doctoral degree after Spring 2021
- MFA student: currently enrolled student who plans to complete their degree Spring 2021 or later.
- Fill out the google application form. Upload the following documents as accessible PDF in the form:
- 500 word or less statement that addresses the fellowship criteria above
- Brief (20 words or less) statement of support from your dissertation advisor, graduate program advisor, or department chair
- Submit your application via Google form by Noon Pacific Time, Wednesday, May 13th
- Awardees will be notified May 27th