Graduate Division

Provisional Admission

Almost all graduate students are admitted provisionally as they will submit unofficial transcripts for their application. After you have been admitted and submit a positive Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) indicating your intention to enroll at UCI, you are required to submit official proof that you earned a Bachelor's degree.  For students who completed or expect to complete their degree in the U.S., you should submit an official degree posted transcript to the address below as soon as it becomes available. For students who earned their Bachelor's degree outside the U.S., generally, in addition to the final transcript, we require your official degree certificate with English translation, as well. These documents should be submitted to the address below as soon as they become available. Degree posted transcripts from U.S. schools may be sent electronically directly from the Registrar of your school to We do not accept electronic transcripts from outside the U.S.

While a student who is admitted provisionally will be allowed to enroll for his/her first quarter, all admission provisions must be cleared by the end of the first quarter of enrollment. In order to avoid any difficulties, we strongly encourage students to meet the terms of their provisional admissions prior to the start of Fall quarter. If students fail to clear their provisional status by the end of the seventh week of their first enrolled quarter, an administrative hold will be placed on their academic record, preventing their registration for future quarters, and their graduate student status may be revoked.

Taking actions necessary to clear provisional admission status is the sole responsibility of the student. This may include contacting the Educational Testing Service to have GRE scores sent to the Graduate Division or contacting the undergraduate institution they attended for an official copy of the transcript with degree conferral. All documents necessary to clear a student's provisional admission status should be sent directly to the following address:

Graduate Division - Transcripts
University of California, Irvine
120 Aldrich Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-3180