The Master of Human-Interaction and Design (MHCID) program at UC Irvine is a professional degree that prepares students to be the leaders of the future in human computer interaction, user experience design and research, product management, and more. This terminal degree should be undertaken by early and mid-career professionals and executives looking to take the next step in their careers.
This one-year program is unique in its innovative hybrid learning approach. Students spend time on campus in intensive in-person courses as well as online using the best in distance-based learning approaches and tools.
MHCID students also solve real-world problems in diverse teams that work closely with our award-winning interdisciplinary faculty. After mastering a range of key UX skills and subjects, graduates will gain important academic and practical experience through our capstone project course. Students will collaborate with an industry sponsor to innovate, improve, or modify a new or existing human-to-machine technology.
We graduate leading professionals who are designing the future and defining how people and technology engage. These professionals include directors of user experience, UX researchers, product managers, visual designers, and even CTOs.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Excellence. You will be part of a world-class group of faculty and students who have an outstanding track record of delivering innovative, relevant education.
- Placement. We prepare our students for rich, fulfilling and diverse careers; whether you want to be a product designer, user-experience researcher or project manager, you can find a path through our program that prepares you to reach your career goals.
- Support. You join a team that strongly believes that working together is essential to learning. Whether in the classroom, in design or fieldwork, in your M.S. research, or simply as part of a hallway conversation, we encourage you to speak up, join the discussion and contribute.
- Connections. Our alumni have gone on to study in some of the most prestigious Ph.D. programs, work for well-known, innovative corporations, and found successful startups. We stay in touch with them, and can help connect you for internships that complement your studies.
- Diversity. UCI was founded with a focus on diversity of thought, experiences, and ideas. Our department faculty represent a wide variety of disciplinary backgrounds and have in-depth collaborations across campus. Additionally, students are encouraged to take coursework outside of the school that pertains to their interests.
Professional Master's Program
Normative Time to Degree
Mode of Delivery
This is a mixed format, low-residency program with online courses and intensive, accelerated in-person courses on campus.
Admissions are now closed for the 2018/2019 school year.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States; Equivalencies for international students can be found here: https://grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/info-for-international-applicants.php
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale)
- Demonstrated English-language proficiency for applicants whose native language is not English (for more information: http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/english-proficiency.html)
- Online application (https://apps.grad.uci.edu/ogsa/)
- Statement of Purpose — Tell us a bit about why you want to join this program, where you see this program fitting in your broader career trajectory, and so on.
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- For domestic students, put this in the place where it says personal history on the application
- For international students, please email this to email@example.com and our student affairs staff will add it to your application
- Three letters of recommendation (ignore the request that is standard UCI application language that these be “instructors” in this area of study. These can–and often should–be managers, peers, or clients at work or instructors from another area of study).
- Transcripts from every college or university attended
- Choose one to send:
- Portfolio demonstrating applicable work experience, which should be linked from either your statement of purpose or your resume
- GRE scores
- Please note that we welcome international applicants. However, there are some important things to know about visas.
- If you are here already on some kind of non-education related visa (marriage and family, work, etc.), you should be eligible to enroll in our program without trouble. However, we encourage you to check with our international center as well as an immigration attorney.
- You do not need a student visa to join our program, and therefore we do not support you in getting one through the program. Because it is low-residency, meaning we do not require you to be on campus for more than a week at at time, we do not at this time have the ability to offer I-20s. Again, for additional questions, please consult with our international center and an immigration attorney.
- TOEFL scores may be required for admissions (please check here for more information http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/english-proficiency.html)
UCI graduate application fee (http://www.grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/app-fee-info.html) Contact student affairs for more specific questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Additionally, we will offer a variety of merit-based scholarships, including our “20 for 20” program, which will offer a scholarship in the amount of 20% of total program fees for the top 20% of each admitted cohort. All students who apply for the program will also be considered for scholarships. No supplemental materials are required.
Please contact email@example.com for further information.
Tuition & Fees
|MHCID 2019-20 Fees
||Fall 2019||Winter 2020||Spring 2020||Summer 2020||Annual|
|Program Fee *||12,375.00||12,375.00||12,375.00||12,375.00||49,500.00|
|Student Services Fee||25.00||25.00||25.00||0.00||75.00|
|Total Fees Paid||$ 12,400.00||$ 12,400.00||$ 12,400.00||$ 12.375.00||$ 49,500.00|
Posted 12 June 2019: http://reg.uci.edu/fees/2019-2020/humancomp.html
The tuition, fees, and charges posted to your billing statement or account are estimates based on currently approved amounts. These figures may not be final. Actual tuition, fees, and charges are subject to change by the Regents of the University of California and could be affected by increases or reductions in State funding, or other developments. Accordingly, final approved levels (and thus your final balance due) may differ from the amounts shown.
* MHCID students pay a program fee; students enrolled in on-line programs do not pay campus-based fees and do not have access to the facilities and services supported by the campus-based fees. Program fee does not include Student Services Access Fee.
Robert A. and Barbara L. Kleist Professor in Informatics
Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or @gillianrhayes for further information.
Founding Faculty Member
Donald Bren Professor in Informatics and Business
Founding Faculty Member
Associate Professor, Informatics and Computer Science
Strategy Director, Razorfish London
Associate Professor, Education and Informatics
Please click here for data accessible to a screen reader.